Friday, June 08, 2012

My mother thought her pills were apple seeds


Istiqlál (Independence), 4 Núr (Light), 169 BE – Friday, May 8, 2012 about 7:35 PM Pacific Time

Mom takes medication better in the afternoon then the morning. In the afternoon, I can put the pills in my mother’s hand and she will put them in her mouth and swallow them. In the morning, Mom doesn’t want to take her meds. I have begun putting them in applesauce because she normally swallows without a problem.

This morning, I put one of the meds in a spoon of applesauce and she tried to take it out of her mouth. I ask her not to, but she said it was a seed. I finally convinced her it wasn’t a seed. Once she was satisfied that the pill wasn’t an apple seed, she swallowed it without any trouble.

I like to use applesauce because it is easier for Mom to swallow. After I give her the applesauce, I give her a glass of water and most of the time she drinks the water without any difficulties. If Mom continues to think the medication is a seed, I don’t know what I’m going to do. I suppose I’ll have to find something else to hid her medication in so she will take it. Taking care of someone with Alzheimer’s disease is interesting.

No comments: