Saturday, January 01, 2011

New Year’s Soup

Jalál (Glory), 2 Sharaf (Honor), 167 BE – Saturday, January 1, 2011 about 4:18 PM Pacific Time

I made New Year’s Soup today. It contained the following ingredients

1 16 oz. pkg. of black-eyed peas
1 tablespoon of salt
1 teaspoon of pepper
1 onion diced
4 pork neck bones
1 pkg. of frozen green peas
1 pkg. of frozen carrots

On New Year’s Eve, I browned the pork neck bones in a skillet and then put 1 cup of water in the skillet and cooked the pork completely through. While the pork was cooking I added dried basil leaves. After the pork was done, I placed it and the water I used to cook it in a covered container and placed it in the fridge.

I washed the black-eyed peas and then put them to soak in 8 cups of water. I let the peas soak over night. On New Year’s Day, drained the water off the black-eyed peas and washed them again. Then I put them into a slow cooker with the salt and pepper and 8 cups of water. I turned the slow cooker on and then I diced the onion. I then put the onion in the pot with the black-eyed peas.

I let the black-eyed peas cook for about 1 ½ hours. Then I put the pork and it water in the slow cooker. After another 1 ½ hours, I put in the frozen green peas and carrots. Then I let the mixture cook, stirring periodically until it was hot and the black-eyed peas completely cooked.

No comments: