Friday, January 21, 2011

I am cooking rice this morning

Istiqlál (Independence), 3 Sultán (Sovereignty), 167 BE – Friday, January 21, 2011 about 10:30 AM Pacific Time

I am fixing rice in the slow cooker this morning. I put about 12 cups of water in the slow cooker, with about a tablespoon of cooking oil. I let the water heat for thirty minutes to an hour and then added the spices. I put in nutmeg, allspice, salt, and cinnamon; so now I am waiting for the water to come to a boil before adding the rice.

I know the rice will taste good when it is finished, but I am not sure what to call the recipe. This is a new cooking experiment, I have plenty of rice in the house and I have to figure out different ways of cooking it every time. Perhaps I will try this with milk because I think this is close to the recipe my grandmother used when she fixed us rice for breakfast.

I mixed a pitcher of milk as well. I used dry milk this morning. We do not have bottles or cartons of milk in the refrigerator, so I mix dry milk with water in a pitcher. After I mix the milk, I put the pitcher in the fridge. The dry milk taste all right, it does not taste exactly like milk from a carton, but it tastes all right.

No comments: