Sunday, January 23, 2011

I turned the radio on today

Jamál (Beauty), 5 Sultán (Sovereignty), 167 BE – Sunday, January 23, 2011 about 1:57 PM Pacific Time

For several days, Mom has wished she could listen to the radio. We have three radios in the house, two clock radios and a cassette radio combination. I plugged the third radio in today and turned it on. Finding a channel on it was easier then on the clock radios. I found an oldies channel that both Mom and I enjoy. Mom is sitting in the breakfast room listening to the radio.

The cassette radio also takes batteries, but I don’t know what type. I got the radio off freecycle two or three years ago and it didn’t have batteries. I’d like to put batteries in it so that Mom could carry it into her bedroom at night. If it has batteries then she can carry it in and out of her bedroom without worrying about plugging it into the electricity.

I could show Mom where the outlets in her room are, but I don’t think she would remember. Sometimes she remembers things, but she forgets a lot, so showing her where the outlets are located it her bedroom wouldn’t do any good. If the radio doesn’t have batteries then I have to go into her room and plug the radio in each time she want to listen to it in that room.

I think Mom would feel more independent and be happier if she didn’t have to have someone plug her radio in each time she want to listen to it at night. It is important to Alzheimer’s patients to be as independent as possible; I know that when Mom can do things for herself she doesn’t get a depressed and angry.

No comments: