Friday, June 25, 2010

: Motivating My Mother in Las Vegas

Istiqlál (Independence), 2 Rahmat (Mercy), 167 BE – Friday, June 25, 2010 about 7:09 AM Pacific Time

I am not sure it is possible to motivate someone else, but I am going to have to attempt motivating my Mother. Mom has Alzheimer's disease and short-term memory issues. She forgets to do the chores that she believes is her responsibility or she just never gets around to them.

Mom has decided that cleaning the cat litter, washing the dishes, and sweeping and mopping the floors are her jobs. She forgets to do them and gets angry if I remind her to do wash the dishes, etc. The dishes and floors, she forgets to do or does not get around to those chores. When it comes to the cat litter, she thinks she did the job, when did not clean the litter.

I accidently found one way to motivate or encourage Mom to do "her chores". I decided to sweep and mop her bathroom floor on Tuesday. I filled the mop bucket with hot bleach water (I am going to use a different type of cleaning liquid in the mop water next time) and then I began to sweep the floor. Mom asked me why I was sweeping her bathroom floor; I said it needed sweeping and mopping.

After I finished sweeping the floor, I emptied the trash by taking it to the garage. When I returned Mom was mopping the floor. She was a bit "pissed off" at me because I was doing "her job". The same thing happed when I was washing the dishes Wednesday afternoon. I run hot soapy water into the dishpan and then went to do a room check for dirty dishes.  When I returned to the kitchen, Mom was washing the dishes. This method seems to motivate Mom, but I am going to have to find another way to motivate her, as well.

No comments: