Saturday, June 05, 2010

I remember Blackwell, Oklahoma

Jamál (Beauty), 2 Núr (Light), 167 BE – Saturday, June 5, 2010 about 8:54 PM Pacific Time

My brother sent me a link about Blackwell, Oklahoma, my hometown. The link was a May 15, 2008 article in corpwatch.org called Suing the Smelter: Oklahoma Town Takes on Freeport by Eliza Strickland.

The article brought back memories of the Smelter Heights, of my Grandpa Newland going to work everyday at the Smelter, and of the laundry days Grandma Newland refused to hang cloths on the line because of the smoke from the Smelter. If the wind changed directions after Grandma hung the cloths out, she would rewash the cloths because she refused to wear cloths smelling like smoke.

I remember Blackwell,
I remember the Zinc Smelter,
I remember the smoke stacks bellowing smoke,
I remember Grandpa Newland after he retired...

No comments: