Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Why am I making a big deal about my birthday?

8 Masa'il 164 B.E. - Wednesday, December 19, 2007 about 2:48 PM PST

I'm not sure why I'm making such a big deal about my birthday. I've mentioned it in several entries on other blogs. Ever since last year, when I turned sixty, my birthday has suddenly became important to me. It could be that I'm getting older, it could be that I'm enjoying the day much better then I did as a child.

My mother tells me I was born a few minutes before midnight on December 24. If I had waited just a few more minutes I would be a Christmas baby. I'm not sure that would have made a lot of difference but it might. I know the one thing I resented as a child was my brothers and sister getting to open one of their Christmas presents when I opened my birthday present. I'm still dealing with that issues, but creatively in stories and poems. It's probably just as well I wasn't born on Christmas because I have enough issues with this time of year without making them any worse.

Actually there is a good plot for a story in this situation. A character resents being born on Christmas Eve so much that he or she goes back in time and somehow delays his or her birth until Christmas. All right, I'm a writer I can use almost any situation as a good plot or incident for a story. A situation like this would fit in a short story or novel rather than a piece of flash fiction. I feel better now that I've gotten the idea down, I'm not sure whether it was a good idea putting it in a blog or not, but there it is.

I still haven't decided why my birthday has become such a big deal. There was a time when it didn't matter if anyone remembered it. Now, however, I hope other family members besides my mother remembers it. It would be nice to receive a card through the mail or even an e-card from some of my family and friends. I could always send an e-card to myself, I have three e-mail addresses so that would be easy. That would also be a nice subject for a poem.

No comments: