Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Christmas 2007

14 Masa'il 164 B.E. - Tuesday, December 25, 2007 about 11:20 AM PST

Santa Claus has come and gone to the houses where families celebrate Christmas. The Twelve Days of Christmas have begun for some. For others it will begin this evening at sunset. The first day of Christmas is either December 25 or 26 depending on the tradition and the twelfth day is either January 5 or 6. On January 6 Epiphany is celebrated; these are traditions of the western church. The Eastern Orthodox Church celebrates Christmas on January 7 and Epiphany on January 19.

The gift giving holidays I celebrate occurs at the end of February. I celebrate the days of Ayyam-i-Ha, which begin the evening of February 25 and end on the evening of March 1. Normally Ayyam-i-Ha covers four days, but 2008 is a leap year. That means there are five days in Ayyam-i-Ha. This is a time of gift giving and visiting before the beginning of the nineteen day fast on the evening of March 1. The end of the Fast is the Naw-Ruz, New Year, celebration.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do for Ayyam-i-Ha because I haven't thought that far ahead. I'll check the calendar and see. I know I'm going to write a poem, but I'm not sure of the theme yet. Perhaps I'll attend a poetry reading, Mom enjoys going to readings and reading her poems.

No comments: