Sunday, September 23, 2012

Is my mother laughing or crying

Jamal (Beauty), 16 Izzat (Might), 169 B.E. - Sunday, September 23, 2012 about 9:10 A.M. Pacific Time

I listen to my mother's voice. I listen to the noises she makes. I hear her begin to cry, so I ask "Mom, why are you crying?" Her answer, "I'm not crying." I don't  say well it sounded like crying to me. Instead, I watch her face and realize that she isn't crying, but instead she is laughing.

Mom has Alzheimer's disease and she cries about almost everything that disappoints or upsets her. When I ask her why she is crying she usually answers "I don't know!" or "I have a right to cry!" In either case I never find out why she is crying. Earlier this morning, I heard Mom was crying and went into her bedroom to find out why. I never did discover a reason for the tears, so I got her up and we came into the living room.

A while ago, I heard what I thought was crying; however, when I looked at her I realized she was laughing. When Mom starts to cry or to laugh the vocalizations she makes are  the same. The only difference, I can see, is that when she cries she sheds tears.


No comments: