Friday, September 21, 2012

The Last Day of Summer

Istiqlal (Independence), 14 Izzat (Might), 169 B.E. - Friday, September 21, 2012 about 5:38 PM Pacific Time.

It is  the last day of summer, tomorrow morning at 7:49 AM Pacific Fall begins. As I look out my living room window, I see clouds gathering in the sky. They are not rainclouds, but the carry enough moisture so that the humidity is noticeable. I also see  the contrail of a jet, its white vapor mixing with the last clouds of summer.

I look forward to autumn because the temperatures are lower, which means the power bill will be lower. It cost a lot to cool the house in summer and to heat the house in winter. In spring and fall we use the air conditioning less. We have a heat pump to keep the house cool in the summer and warm in the winter. I know enough about the unit to set the required temperature on the thermostat, to turn the unit off or on, and change the filter. If the unit requires anything else, I call a professional.

It is the last day of summer, Mom is asleep and the house is silent. The man who maintains my yard carried three trashcans to the curb, so that the garbage trucks can pick them up tomorrow. I still have on trashcan in the garage to roll to the curb tomorrow. Since it is a plastic rolling trashcan and I do not have to pick it up, I can handle it by myself.

No comments: