Monday, September 17, 2012

I call my Mother Marie

Kamal (Perfection), 10 'Izzat 169 B.E. - Monday, September 17, 2012 about 8:52 AM Pacific Time

I wasn't raised to call my mother by her first name. I've always called her Mom, Mother, or Mommy, but her Alzheimer's disease has changed the way I address my mother. Sometimes I call my mother Marie because she forgets that I'm her daughter. Sometimes she forgets my name and sometimes she remembers. I don't know who she thinks I am at these times.

Mom hasn't been answering my questions or responding to me consistently when I talk to her. At first, I thought the problem was that she didn't hear me, but that's only part of the problem. The rest of the issues is the damage the Alzheimer's has caused to her brain. I've noticed the when Mom wakes up in the morning or after a nap. I finally figured out the problem, Mom doesn't know who I am, so when I call her "Mom" or "Mother" she doesn't  realize I'm talking to her. When this occurs I call Mom "Marie" and she will respond.

No comments: