Saturday, April 09, 2011

Mom and her medication

Jalál (Glory), 1 Jalál (Glory), 168 BE – Saturday, April 9, 2011 about 3:20 PM Pacific Time

Sometimes Mom wants to chew her medication; however, most of her meds are now chewable. When she began this, I stopped giving her more then three of the meds at a time and that seemed to take care of the issue. This morning Mom wanted to chew her meds, but one of them was not the chewable type. Therefore, starting this evening, I am going to give Mom the non-chewable meds one at a time. I hope this takes care of the issue; I can only wait and see.

Mom has Alzheimer’s disease and sometimes does not realize that she should swallow her meds rather then chew them. It makes giving her medication difficult; it would be easier if I could mix the meds with her food. However, the only ones I can mix into her food or coffee are the liquid and powders. The doctor prescribed one powder and one liquid, which the rest are tablets of some type.

When I give Mom her meds, I set beside her and watch. Being close to when she takes the tablets does not prevent her from attempting to chew them. I inform her she must swallow the tablets, but Mom does not always listen to me. The next time I see her pharmacist or doctor, I will have to discuss this issue.

No comments: