Friday, April 15, 2011

Remembering Grandpa’s House

Istiqlál (Independence), 7 Jalál (Glory), 168 BE – Friday, April 15, 2011 about 5:30 PM Pacific Time

Today the contractor called and they will arrive on Monday to redo the bathroom. This brought back a memory from my childhood. I remember Grandpa Newland adding a storage room to his house in the Smelter Heights. He built the room along the side of the house, so that it we could enter it from either the living room or one of the bedrooms. In addition, he put a door in that entered the room from the outside.

I think some of the neighbors helped him, but he did most of the work himself. Once the spare room was finished, he put a deep freeze in plus some shelves. I know Grandma used the shelves to store winter quilts. I cannot remember what else she stored in that room.

I would like to go back to Blackwell for a visit some day. I know my grandparents’ house is no longer there; however, I would like to see what the city is like. I would also like to visit their grave; perhaps lay some flowers there. Grandma always liked roses; I do not remember what type of flowers Grandpa liked.

No comments: