Monday, February 21, 2011

Monday, February 21, 2011, Presidents’ Day

It is Presidents’ Day. It is a holiday, the banks are closed and there is no mail delivery. When I was a child, we celebrated Abraham Lincoln’s and George Washington’s birthdays separately and there were no three-day holidays.

When I was a child, it was a different world. I remember watching a black and white television set. I do not remember if the schools closed on either Lincoln’s or Washington’s Birthday. I remember learning that George Washington was the first president of the United States and that Abraham Lincoln gave the Gettysburg Address. We learned many other things about these two presidents.

Today I wonder if either of those two Presidents drank coffee. I am sure my teachers did not mention that fact in school. I have never read it the literature about them. It would be nice to know if they preferred to drink coffee or hot tea. It is little things like that which make history interesting and fun. We all learn about the big events, but the little facts bring an era in history to life.

No comments: