Monday, November 23, 2009

Thanksgiving, Black Friday, Cyber Monday

Fidál (Grace), 2 Qawl (Speech), 166 BE – Monday, November 23, 2009 about 8:39 PM Pacific Time

Thanksgiving is followed by two of the biggest shopping days of the holiday season, which Black Friday and Cyber Monday. Thanksgiving and Black Friday always bring back pleasant memories of my childhood. I have no childhood memories (pleasant or otherwise) of Cyber Monday, because it did not exist when I was growing up.

On Thanksgiving, we gathered at my grandparents' house to give thanks and eat turkey. On Black Friday, my grandfather bought the Christmas Tree, which we decorated on Saturday. On the Monday after Thanksgiving, we went back to school and waited impatiently for Christmas Eve and Christmas.

When I was a child living in Blackwell, Oklahoma, the Internet did not exist. No one shopped online. When my mother and grandparents bought us Christmas and birthday presents, they went into a brick and mortar store. They did not use a credit card or a debit card to pay for purchases, instead they used cash. Sometimes the advances in technology amaze me.

No comments: