Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving 2009

Istijlál (Majesty), 4 Qawl (Speech), 166 BE – Thursday, November 26, 2009 about 2:33 PM Pacific Time

When I was a child in Blackwell, Oklahoma, I never thought much of the spiritual aspects of Thanksgiving. I knew history of the holiday, but I never really understood the spiritual meaning of Thanksgiving.

We gathered at my grandparents' house and ate turkey. Grandma would cook the turkey in the oven. Grandpa would say a prayer of gratitude at the table and then we would have our Thanksgiving feast. Now, at 62 the spiritual implications of the holiday are revealing themselves.

This year I had some devastating news before the holiday started. Last Friday, I took my mother to see her doctor because she was acting odd, acting unusual, not acting like herself. The doctor diagnosed Mom with Alzheimer's and put Mom on a medication that is supposed to have an effect on the problem. I'll know if it helps Mom in four to six weeks.

A person would think that something like this would make me doubt the love of the Creator, the love of God. It doesn't because I know God loves me. I know God loves my mother. I know God loves all of humanity. This is a test and like all tests, its intention is to draw those involved nearer to God.

No comments: