Saturday, September 22, 2007

Hot Coffee on a Cold Morning

15 'Izzat 164 B.E. - Saturday, September 22, 2007 about 6:55 AM PDT

There is nothing like a hot cup of coffee on a cold morning or even a chilly morning. It feels cold to me especially after the rain last night. I didn't go to bed until after 1:00 AM, then I got up and turned the alarm off about 4:00 AM and then I sit down on the couch and dozed until about 6:30 AM. I said my morning prayer and made coffee. The coffee smells and tastes good even if I did make it myself.

It's cloudy outside so I expect it will rain again sometime today. That's all right though because I have plenty to do around the house. I didn't get the trash taken out this morning and the garbage trucks have already gone through the neighborhood. I heard them about 6:55 AM. Sometimes they don't pick up the trash until late morning or even afternoon, but this morning they're on the ball and getting it done.

I hadn't planned on taking the trash out anyway. The wind blew so hard yesterday that I didn't get it taken to the curb last night and I was up too late (or perhaps I should say early) to get it out this morning. That's all right, I'll get the trash out Wednesday. Next Saturday I have to be on the ball with the recyclables. I've just about gotten all of them out of the garage, one more load to the curb and my garage won't be backed up in recyclables. That will be one thing I've finally gotten caught up since March.

My mother's been in and out of the hospital since March 12. I'm still trying to catch work up that can only be done quickly and effectively by two people. Mom still can't do a lot of things, so I'm doing most of it, but eventually I'll get it caught up. Well almost everything anyway. I beginning to think there's no such thing as getting the laundry caught up or even completely done. The best that one can hope for with laundry is just to stay ahead of it.

My grandmother did laundry once a week. She washed cloths for herself, my grandfather and four grandchildren. Saturday was laundry day at my grandparents house. She washed the cloths and hung them on the line to dry. She didn't use an automatic dryer, even after automatic dryers came out she still hung her cloths on the line to dry. She did change from a wringer washer to an automatic washer, but she all ways hung her cloths on the line.

Hot coffee, cold or cool mornings and a silent house all ways bring out fond memories from my childhood. I'm not sure why that combination works so well, maybe now that I'm 60 and going on 61 the good memories are coming to the surface. Not that all the memories from ,my childhood are good. I have bad or unpleasant memories as well, but this morning the good memories are surfacing. Perhaps it's because I said my morning prayers, perhaps it's just that the weather reminds me of fall in Oklahoma, or perhaps its a combination.

Morning Prayer revealed by Baha'u'llah

I have wakened in Thy shelter, O my God, and it becometh him that seeketh that shelter to abide withing the Sanctuary of Thy protection and the Stronghold of Thy defense. Illumine my inner being, O my Lord, with the splendors of the Day-Spring of Thy Revelation, even as Thou didst illumine my outer being with the morning light of Thy favor.
Prayers and Meditations by Baha'u'llah, p. 250

No comments: