Saturday, September 29, 2007

An Abudance of Coffee Mugs

4 Mashiyyat 164 B.E. - Saturday, September 29, 2007 about 7:35 PM PDT

I am rich. I am wealthy. I have an abundance of coffee mugs. I have so many coffee mugs that my cupboards won't hold them all. So what happens, I picked up a box of kitchen stuff off freecycle the other day and there were coffee mugs in it as well. The difference here is that it is a matching set. The rest of my mugs aren't matching sets.

So what am I going to do? I'm going to keep the matching set and take the rest of the coffee mugs to the garage. I'll put them beside the Tupperware tumblers I took out today. I didn't say there were real glass water glasses and juice glasses in the box of kitchen stuff. The glasses were matching sets as well.

Now I have matching sets of coffee cups, water glasses and juice glasses. I can now get rid of the plastic tumblers and the mismatched coffee mugs. I'm not sure what I'll do with them yet. Probably offer them on freecycle and if no one wants them then I'll take them to a second hand shop or one of the local charities. Somebody must want them, they're still good it's just that I prefer to drink water, juice and soda out of real glass.

I grew up drinking water, juice and soda out of real glass. I like the taste of ice water in a glass instead of a plastic tumbler. The water feels colder in glass than in plastic. All right, so there probably isn't any real difference in the temperature. Any more than coffee tastes different in a set of matching cups than in mismatched mugs. That doesn't matter, it's the idea of drinking ice tea or water out of a glass. It's the idea of drinking coffee out of a matching set of cups.

Drinking coffee out of matching cups brings back memories of my childhood. My grandmother had matching coffee cups. She had real glass water and tea glasses, not crystal mind you but ordinary glass. When I was a child we drink out of them, they weren't just to look at they were to use.

My grandmother had two sets of dishes. She had a set that she used during the week and a "good" set that she used when we had "friends over", on holidays and on Sunday. I'm getting nostalgia, next I'll be talking about the "good old days", which by the way probably weren't all that great unless you were a kid and didn't have to worry about anything but playing.

No comments: