Saturday, May 27, 2017

Poverty Is Not a State of Mind

It's Saturday. I'm frustrated and on the verge of tears. I'm 70 going on 71. I don't have enough  income to pay my bills and my rent. My Social Security is barely enough to keep me from being homeless. My physical issues cause me problems when it come to doing housework. I can dress myself, get in and out of the shower without help, and do a few other things without assistance. Cooking is difficult because my left hand trembles, but the doctors can't tell my what causes the trembling. If I didn't have a friend living with me I would never have a clean house or be able to eat anything except food cooked in the microwave. 

I'm frustrated. I've been attempting to earn a little extra money with survey, but they don't pay as well as they claim. Even the ones that are not cons don't pay that well. I am fortunate that I qualify for programs that help with my medication and assist in purchasing food. They still don't help in paying the rent and the electricity. Now Congress wants to cut out or cut down on programs that help  seniors like me survive. 

Then there are well-known  people who claim that poverty is just a state of mind. I can damn well tell you that it 's not. Once you get below the poverty line getting back into, what is left of the middle class, is difficult and, almost, impossible. 

1 comment:

Musings of a Creative Writer said...

::hug::

I know how you feel and I know what you mean about surveys. Wish there was more I could do to help.