Friday, April 04, 2014

Foodie Friday: Coupons for the Farmers' Market

Istiqlál (Independence), 15 Bahá (Splendor), 171 BE - Friday, April 4, 2014 about 1:41 pm Pacific Daylight Time

I have $30.00 in Farmers' Market Coupons, a partial list of locally available produce, one location, and dates of upcoming Farmers' Markets.Next week the Market will be on Monday, April 7, and Wednesday, April 8, I am planning to go on one of those dates. The produce that (I know) will be available are asparagus, cherries, greens, lettuce, peas, radishes, rhubarb, strawberries, spinach, and Swiss chard. I know that I want to get rhubarb and either asparagus or Swiss chard, but before I decide on which I have to check the potassium level in those vegetables.

I can determine the potassium level in each of those vegetables by going to foodfacts.com and searching for the ingredients by product name. This is a big help when it comes to following a low potassium diet because once I find out how many milligrams of potassium a vegetable for fruit contains, I know if I can eat it and the amount I can consume at one meal.

This will be my first trip to a farmers' market since my doctor put me on a low potassium diet, so I am looking forward to see what I can find that I can eat. I am looking forward to seeing what else they have and then figuring out how to cook it. I have only two recipe books in  the house (apartment) and I think both of those are microwave cookbooks, which is not going to help since I will be using the electric range.

No comments: