Monday, April 07, 2014

Meditation Monday: Difficulty Meditating

Kamál (Perfection), 18 Bahá (Splendor), 171 BE - Monday, April 7, 2014 about 5:56 pm Pacific Daylight Time

I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but I find it difficult to quiet my mind when I focus on nothing. In order to stop my self-talk and flying thoughts I have to focus on something. When I chant God's Most Great Name using the prayer beads to count, I can focus on the chanting and this calms my mind. I have also found that when I focus on the action of washing dishes I can calm my thoughts and quiet my mind. I need a point of focus for me to quiet my mind.

I'm sure that washing dishes isn't encouraged while meditating. I always thought that you had to sit in a comfortable position and focusing on nothing. When I chant the Most Great Name, I usually sit in a chair or on the love seat and face east. The chair is more comfortable because I can simply turn it in the proper direction. If I sit on the love seat then I have to turn only my head toward the east, unless I left legs off the floor and place them on the love seat's arm.

I recently found a photo that I can focus on, so I may try that for my evening meditation instead of standing at the kitchen sink and washing dishes. It is difficult for me to stand up for long periods of time without one of my legs going to sleep. At least with the photo, I can sit on the love seat while focusing on the picture. I'll give this thirty days before I attempt to change my method of meditation again.

No comments: