Wednesday, April 02, 2014

Midweek Reflections: Giving up Chocolate

‘Idál (Justice), 13 Bahá (Splendor), 171 BE - Wednesday, April 2, 2014 about 6:59 pm Pacific Daylight Time

I have to give up chocolate! I purchase a milk chocolate Easter bunny on Monday, March 31, when I went to the store to pick up a prescription. I read the nutritional facts on the back of the box, since it did not give the potassium content I figured I did not have to worry about that issue. Today, I did an Internet search for the potassium content of chocolate.

I discovered that milk chocolate has 625 mg of potassium for one cup of chips. The chocolate bunny contains about 16 oz. of chocolate, which means the potassium in the bunny exceeds my low potassium diet. Dark chocolate has 158 mg and white chocolate 243.1 mg of potassium, this means I cannot eat chocolate Easter bunnies or any other type of chocolate candy. I have not checked the potassium content of hot coco mix, but I suspect the potassium content in that product excludes me from drinking hot chocolate or cafe mocha.

I think I will miss the cafe mocha the most, but I could be wrong. I might miss chocolate ice cream or chocolate candy more the cafe mocha. I will just have to see and write about what I miss most. I know one thing for certain, I will have to do an Internet search for potassium content in food and make a grocery list accordingly.

No comments: