Sunday, August 18, 2013

Flash Flood Warning in Southern Nevada

Jamál (Beauty), 18 Kamál (Perfection), 170 BE – Sunday, August 18, 2013 about 3:30 PM Pacific Daylight Time

I watched as the day darkened. Clouds moved in from the west slowly covering the blue afternoon sky. I turned on the television and switched to the Weather Channel. I listened to the flash flood warning, not sure, where it was raining. I knew that, besides Las Vegas, the warning covered the Carpenter 1 burn area, which was somewhere around Mount Charleston.

Since it was not raining in my neighborhood, I decided to take some newspapers to the garage. After putting the newspapers in the white recyclable bin, I stood looking at the sky. There was a patch of blue over the eastern mountains, but to the west dark clouds covered the entire sky. I went back into the house to get some more recyclable for the red container.

I was not in the house for more then five or ten minutes; however, when I got back outside the patch of blue to the east has shrunk. I came back into the house because I wanted to write this entry. I checked the thermostat because before I took the papers out, the thermostat read 85 degrees. In the short time it took me, to take the recyclables to the garage the temperature inside had dropped two degrees. I could now turn on the computer and write this entry.

As I look outside, I can see that the clouds have moved farther east. I do not know if it is going to rain in this neighborhood, but that is possible. Therefore, I will post this now before I hear thunder or see lighting. I am glad I am not on Mount Charleston today or anywhere that it may be flooding. The best in Las Vegas to be when there is a Flash Flood warning is in your house or hotel room.

No comments: