Wednesday, October 27, 2010

An oatmeal morning

‘Idál (Justice), 12 ‘Ilm (Knowledge), 167 BE – Wednesday, October 27, 2010 about 9:46 AM Pacific Time

Considering that, Mom is on a low fiber diet, I am not sure that fixing oatmeal is a good idea. However, I am fixing oatmeal anyway. I woke up this morning wanting oatmeal, so I am going to fix a batch in the slow cooker. It takes the oatmeal longer to cook then on the stovetop, but it will cook.

I am fixing oatmeal this morning. I am fixing enough so that we can have fried oatmeal on Friday or Saturday. I think if I am careful about how much oatmeal Mom eats there will not be too much of an issue. Anyway, I will see how the oatmeal affects her today and in the morning.

The Nutritional Facts on the box indicates that oatmeal has 4g of dietary fiber, which is 2g more then Mom’s diet calls for. According to the label, the dietary fiber in oatmeal contains 2g of soluble fiber and 2g of insoluble fiber, whatever that means. Mom’s doctor did not specify the type of dietary fiber, I did not know there was a difference until I read label.

Since I am on a high fiber diet, the amount of fiber does not matter to me. When Mom fixes her own breakfast, she fixes peanut butter sandwiches. I Mom had her way she would eat peanut butter sandwiches or peanut butter and crackers all day. I cannot let her eat the same thing everyday, so I fix most of the meals. As long as she gets at least one meal with peanut butter Mom is happy.

No comments: