Sunday, September 19, 2010

A good Sunday afternoon

Jamál (Beauty), 12 ‘Izzat (Might), 167 BE – Sunday, September 19, 2010 about 3:43 PM Pacific Time

I changed the battery in Mom's hearing aid this morning and then put the hearing aid in her ear. She protested verbally, but let me put it in her right ear. Mom hasn't said anything about the hearing aid this afternoon. Right now, she is setting on the couch dozing.

Mom cleaned, i.e. she sifted the cat litter this morning. I still have to figure out where she put the plastic bag with the used cat litter. Since she didn't put it in the trashcan in the hall, the bag must be in her bedroom or mine. Since she is dozing on the couch, I'll check in her bedroom to see if its in there. Mom gets upset if I go into her bedroom when she is in another part of the house.

You can do research about Alzheimer's disease and the sufferers, but that doesn't prepare you for dealing with a parent who suffers from the disease. I miss the woman my mother was before the disease began. Sometimes Mom is her old, happy self and other times she becomes angry over nothing. The meds help a little, but all medication can do is slow the progress of the disease. Mornings are more difficult for Mom then afternoon.

No comments: