Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Making Lemonade – Part 2

Fidál (Grace), 17 Mulk (Dominion), 166 BE – Tuesday, February 23, 2010 about 5:05 PM Pacific Time

As I suggested in an earlier post, it seems I have an orchard of lemon trees planted in my backyard. This is figurative, of course, because my backyard isn't big enough for more then one tree. The lemon trees refer to tests and difficulties, which occur to help a person develop spiritual attributes.

My mother is 88 years old; she was born March 19, 1921 on a little farm in Oklahoma. I am 63 years old; I was born on December 24, 1946 in a hospital room in Blackwell, Oklahoma. My mother and I live in the same house in Las Vegas, Nevada. Yes, I am 63 years old and I still live with my mother.

Mom has several physical issues that require her to take daily medication. In some ways, Mom is still capable of taking care of herself. She can get in and out of the bathtub by herself, most days she fixes at least one of her own meals. Mom doesn't drive, so I take her where she needs or wants to go. In addition, she has short-term memory problems.

Recently Mom's doctor diagnosed her with mild or the early stages of Alzheimer's disease. The doctor put her on a generic medication that appears to be working. There are other issues beside the Alzheimer's. I am my mother's caregiver. I never envisioned this job for myself. It has also taught me a lot about myself and has strengthened my faith in God.

No comments: