Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Driving to the Feast of Perfection

1 Kamal 163 B.E. - August 1, 2006 A.D.

Last night, I went to the Feast of Perfection at the Baha'i Center in Las Vegas, Nevada. The Center is located on the west side of town and I live on the east. The drive to the center usually takes between fifteen to twenty minutes, if I avoid specific streets going to the center. There are three routes I can use, I can drive up Oakey to to the west side. Oakey doesn't go all the way through to the west side. It's one of those streets that dead-ends and then starts up again a mile or two later. When I take Oakey I go up to main street and then over to Western. The interesting fact about Western is that it becomes it becomes Oakey after a few blocks. Western also has a railroad crossing, if you're going west and get stuck on the east side of the rail road crossing when a train passes, its a long wait. I didn't encounter a train at the crossing last night so it took about fifteen or twenty minutes to get to the Center last night.

Another route I can take is Charleston, if I take Charleston then it goes all the way to Rainbow and beyond. When I take Charleston I usually turn on Rainbow and then go up to Oakey, the Center is located on west Oakey. I can also take Bonneville to Alta. Bonneville becomes Alta after Rancho. If I take Bonneville, then I turn on Valley View and go to either Charleston or Oakey before turning west again. I very seldom take Charleston when I'm going to the west side of Las Vegas because Charleston is getting too congested and it takes longer to get any place using it of an evening.

So last night, I took Oakey to Western and then up Oakey again to the Center. It's a nice drive, not too much traffic and there are a mix of business, houses and apartment buildings along the way. Traffic wasn't too bad last night, although there were some driver wanting to go over the speed limit. The speed limit varies between twenty five miles an hour in residential neighborhoods and thirty in business localities. You really have to watch the speed limit signs along Oakey. There is also a mix of traffic signals and four way stop signs. Also, after dark parts of the street isn't that well lit, so driving back east on Oakey can be interesting after dark. Normally I take Charleston coming back home after dark, but I didn't last night. I used the Oakey-Western route for both directions.

No comments: