Saturday, August 19, 2006

Outside My Front Door

19 Kamal 163 B.E. - August 19, 2006 A.D.

I saw a Praying Mantis on the side of my house, just outside my front door. This isn't the first time I seen a Mantis there, in fact this is probably the same one I saw there Wednesday. The Mantis was a pale green, almost pastel and it sit on the wall just outside the door. This is the first time I've seen a Praying Mantis in Las Vegas and I've been her over thirty years.

Another unusual sight lately is a humming bird. So far, I've seen the bird twice, both times it was flying in front of the picture window in my living room. I don't know if it saw its reflection in the window or what. Each time a cat got into the window it flew off. My mother said she saw it in the backyard, so the little lady must have a nest around here someplace. I've never seen a humming bird around my house before. I couple of summers ago I saw a humming bird moth. The last time I saw a Humming Bird was at the Community College Campus in North Las Vegas about five or six years ago.

I will admit it was a pleasant experience to see both a Humming Bird and a Praying Mantis in the same week. There are lots of birds here, we have sparrows, mourning doves, and someone in the neighborhood has pigeons, because I noticed them eating the olives off the ground under my olive tree. There are cats in the neighborhood too, but no stray cats. The cats that roam around here are well fed and don't chase the birds.

No comments: