Monday, July 31, 2006

Vibration of the Human Soul

19 Kalimat 163 B.E. - July 31, 2006

I had an interesting thought today. It resulted from a prompt sent by a journal group I subscribe to. The prompt concerned the way I defined myself. Anyway my answer had to do with the frequency at which my soul vibrates. I've never really thought of the soul in quite that way before. I've written two or maybe three poems about light and poets writing in shades of light. One of them was about a Baha'i poet who passed into the next world. Another had to do with a poets in general and what would happen if instead of ordinary in they used the light spectrum as their ink.

As it turns out, apparently I define myself by light, but the way my soul reflects the attributes of God. I don't remember a specific verse that talks about the frequency of light and the human soul. I can remember verses from the writing of Baha'u'llah and 'Abdu'l-Baha about reflecting the attributes of God. I'll have to do a search of Ocean to see if I can find the verse I'm thinking about. I remember a verse, but I can't remember the precise location. I think I'm going to have to start writing the references down so that I can find them when I want them.

This is my take on the subject of the soul and light, of the vibration of the human spirit and the way it reflects the attributes of God. Just as we see visible light though the color spectrum, we see spiritual light through the spiritual spectrum. The spiritual spectrum are divine attributes, which every human being can potentially reflect. In order to reflect those spiritual attributes, we have to polish our souls. We shine the spiritual mirror through prayer, meditation, reading the sacred writing, trusting in God, and confronting tests and difficulties. As we shine the mirror it reflects the divine attributes more fully. Polishing the mirror of the soul is a life times project. We never stop polishing in the material world. When we pass into the next world, at death, we take with us the divine attributes we've developed on Earth through the work of polishing our souls.

No comments: