Sunday, December 18, 2016

A Week Before Christmas

Jamál (Beauty), 8 Masá’il (Questions), 173 BE - Sunday, December 18, 2016 AD about 8.26 AM Pacific Standard Time 

It's a week before Christmas and all through the town 
People are madly driving around, 
Looking for presents to  place under the tree, 
While the memories of my childhood are returning to me. 

I don't celebrate Christmas anymore, but I do write stories, poems, and blog entries about the Christmases of my childhood and youth. Some of my poems are parodies of secular Christmas carols, while others contain Christmas memories that standout in my mind. At 69, soon to be 70, years old I have some wonderful, weird, and spectacular memories of Christmases past. 

Some of these memories are about my grandfather purchasing a live Christmas tree, while others center around the first artificial aluminum Christmas tree on the market. Yes, when I was a young person, Grandpa bought an aluminum tree. I'm not sure why he did, perhaps because Grandma wanted one or maybe because it was the newest one out. Grandpa always attempted to give Grandma everything she wanted. Grandpa also liked to have the latest technology and the aluminum trees were the newest Christmas technology at the time. 

I don't think I've written a poem or story around that aluminum tree. I'll have to do that this week. I usually write my Christmas memories the week before Christmas and the week after Christmas. However, I think I started earlier this year with some of my Christmas stories. Those didn't contain any of my memories and I have to write a couple that contain my memories of Christmas. 

No comments: