Saturday, December 24, 2016

On This Day in History: December 24

Jalál (Glory), 14, Masá’il (Questions), 173 BE - Saturday, December 24, 2016 AD about 11:09 AM Pacific Standard Time 

On this day in 1946 my mother gave birth to a bouncing baby girl. All right I don't remember if I was bouncing or not, but I was probably crying or maybe I was singing. For all I know I could have been reciting poetry because I don't remember since I'd just been born. Today I turned 70 years old, so I decided to look at some of the events that happened on this day in history.  

I found several events that occurred in December 24 over the past several hundred years. However, only one of those events intrigued me enough to mention it in this blog post. That event occurred in 1955 when NORAD begin tracking Santa Claus. It seems an ad in a Colorado paper misprinted Santa's phone number. The number that was printed in the ad was to NORAD and the man in charge of the base at that time told his people to give the children who called Santa's current location.  

I was 9 years old at the time, so that explains why I have fond memories of this tradition.  I'm not going to mention anymore of the historical event that happened on this historic date because none of the other interest me as much as the tracking of Santa. Even though I no longer celebrate Christmas, I still listen to the news on Christmas Eve night to find out where Santa is located on his sleigh ride across the heavens. 
 

No comments: