Saturday, December 31, 2016

At the end of a long and interesting year

Jalál (Glory) 2 Sharaf (Honor), 173 BE - Saturday, December 31, 2016 AD about 11:15 AM Pacific Standard Time. 

I suppose it's a matter of opinion whether 2016 has been an interesting year. I know it's been a stressful which is usually an indication that the year has been interesting. I could have done with less stress, but the year has taught me how to deal with stress. For me the best way to handle stress and worrying is through prayer and writing. I admit to forgetting this sometimes, but normally, given a bit of time, I get back to the proven methods of handling both stress and worry. 

Stress and worry 
Partners on the road of life 
That distract from enjoying 
The mundane pleasures 
Of daily existence. 

I hope to start the New Year's off right through prayer and writing. My Grandmother always said that what you did on New Year's Day you would be doing everyday for the rest of the year.  That why she did only the things she enjoyed on New Year's Day. One of the things Grandma love was to cook, so she would spend part of New Year's Day cooking. Another thing she enjoyed was spending time with her grandchildren and she did that every January 1. 

I don't remember Grandma and Grandpa ever going out on New Year Eve. That might have been because my siblings and myself were staying with them. On New Year's Day we celebrated by having turkey or chicken, dressing, mashed potatoes, gravy, and black eyed peas for lunch. Most of the day was spent playing or watching television. 

No comments: