Wednesday, December 21, 2016

The First Day of Winter 2016

'Idál (Justice), 11 Masá’il (Questions), 173 BE - Wednesday, December 21, 2016 AD about 7:09 AM Pacific Standard Time 

Winter in the Northern Hemisphere  is officially here. It arrived at 2:44 AM PST when the sun shown directly down onto the Tropic of Capricorn. I know there are a lot of people in the United State who will claim that winter actually arrived when the arctic express pushed down onto the northern part of the U.S. That was just Mother Nature's early warning system preparing us for the change in seasons. 

In the Northern Hemisphere this is the shortest day and longest night of the year. The days will grow longer and the nights shorter until the arrival of the Summer Solstice when the situation reverses. The opposite is true for the Southern Hemisphere where the Summer Solstice occurred and the days are now growing shorter. Isn't living on a round planet wonderful. 

I know there are some people who celebrate the solstice, so I wish them a "Happy Winter Solstice". I don't celebrate the shortest day of the year. Instead I commemorate it by writing about it. I use the solstices, the same way I use the equinoxes, in stories and  poem. 

No comments: