Sunday, March 02, 2014

Spiritual Sunday: Thoughts on Spiritual Life

Jamál (Beauty), 1 ‘Alá’ (Loftiness), 170 BE - Sunday, March 2, 2014 about 11:19 am Pacific Standard Time

Just as a candle cannot burn without fire, men cannot live without a spiritual life. 
Buddha 

I am a candle
lit by the will of God,
my flame burns bright
when I pray.
meditate,
and fast.

Today is the first day of the nineteen day fast; unfortunately, I am on medication and cannot abstain from food and liquid between sunup and sundown. My physical condition does not prevent me from praying and meditating; therefore, my spiritual life moves forward though prayer, meditation, and abstaining from those things that create veils between God and me.

In order to find out what comes between my creator and me, I read the Baha'i scriptures and I write in a pen and paper journal. My journal entries consist of letter to Baha'u'llah and to my Mother. The letters to my mother are new, I did not begin writing her until this year. The letters help me focus on what is important in my life and on what I can do to advance my soul spiritually. I know I am only on this earth for a short time and that I will spend eternity in the next world. The only thing my soul will take with it when it separates from my body are the spiritual attributes it develops in this world.

No comments: