Friday, August 06, 2010

Food and my mother

Istiqlál (Independence), 6 Kamál (Perfection), 167 BE – Friday, August 6, 2010 about 3:52 PM Pacific Time

My mother needs to gain weight, but she does not eat very much at a time. Mom eats more when we go out then when we eat at home; however, it still is no a lot of food. The doctor gives her prescribed something to increase her apatite and it does increase her apatite. She still does not eat very much at a time.

Mom gets full quickly and once her stomach is full she stops eating, which is what people are supposed to do. I suspect the problem is what she eat, I do not think Mom gets enough variety at one meal. I let Mom get her own meals because it helps her to feel independent. Mom is in a much better mood when she feels independent.

I think one of the problems is that Mom does not cook anymore. When she fixes something to eat, she makes a peanut butter sandwich or eats cereal. If I cook eggs, Mom will eat an egg sandwich. In fact yesterday, she ate a peanut butter and egg sandwich. Mom likes peanut butter and puts it on almost anything she eats.

I will weigh Mom in the morning to see how much she weighs, I think she may have gained a few pounds, but she has not gained enough. Tomorrow for lunch, I am fixing orange barbecue steak, with sliced potatoes. Perhaps if I make special recipes she will eat more.

No comments: