Sunday, March 02, 2008

A Time for Reflection

Jamál (Beauty), 1 ‘Alá (Loftiness), 164 B.E. – Sunday, March 2, 2008 about 7:34 AM PST

Today the nineteen-day Fast begins. The fast consist in abstaining from food and drink between sunup and sundown. Baha'i in good health, over a specific age and under a specific age don't eat or drink between dawn and sunset.

The act of abstaining from food and drink is symbolic of detachment from everything except God. ‘Alá is a time of meditation, prayer and reflection. The old year is coming to an end and a New Year begins on March 21. The nineteen days between March 2 and March 20 are for recharging spiritual batteries.

In ‘Alá I set my goals for the coming year. The time I look at the past year to see what is and is not working in my life. The year 164 B.E. was stressful for me. So I will look at the reasons for this and see what I have to change on a personal and spiritual level to make the coming year of 164 B.E. less stressful and more productive.

No comments: