Sunday, March 23, 2008

Easter Memories

Jamál (Beauty), 3 Baha (Splendor), 165 B.E. – Sunday, March 23, 2008 about 7:49 AM PDT

Easter morning, the sun dawns bright over the eastern mountains and memories of East return. As a child, growing up in Blackwell, Oklahoma, my grandparents would take us to church for Easter services. After the services, we would go on an Easter egg hunt and each of us would get an Easter basket.

In the Easter basket were colored eggs, candy eggs and a chocolate Easter bunny. Before lunch my grandparents allowed us to eat one items from the Easter basket. I would eat my chocolate bunny with a glass of milk. It is interesting what traditions stayed with me and what traditions I let drop as I grew up.

I do not celebrate Easter, this time if year I celebrate Naw-Ruz and a New Year. However, every Easter morning I eat a chocolate Easter bunny. I do not eat the bunny with milk any more, instead I have a cup of coffee with my Easter bunny.

No comments: