Sunday, April 22, 2007

Warming Coffee Over in the Microwave

14 Jalal 164 B.E. – Sunday, April 22, 2007

I’m warming coffee over in the microwave. I took my mother to the emergency room on the evening of March 12, 2007 at 7:30 PM. They admitted her at 4:30 AM on March 13. For the following few days I made not coffee at home and went to see her twice a day. I finally started making coffee at home, but there was still leftover coffee in the fridge. I made enough coffee for two people to drink for about a month. Sometimes I drink it all and sometimes I didn’t Anyway I acquired more leftover coffee for little over a month. Last Friday, I decided that there was no use making any more coffee until I’d drink what was in the fridge. I now have the leftover coffee cut down and can start making fresh coffee again Tuesday or Wednesday.

I won’t drink any coffee in the morning, because I have an appointment with Blood Services (to give blood) in the morning at 9:00 am. I don’t drink coffee before those appoints. After I finish my next cup this morning, I don’t think I’m going to have any more coffee today. I try to limit my coffee to mornings and early afternoons. This has nothing to do with sleeping because coffee doesn’t affect my sleeping at night. I don’t drink coffee before those appointments because caffeine seems to raise my heart rate or at least the caffeine in soda does.

Anyway I’m attempting to drink all the leftover coffee before making a fresh pot. I have two coffee makers. One is the modern drip type and the other is the old fashion perc version. Lately, I’ve been making coffee in the drip coffee maker, but I think when I go back to making coffee again next week I’ll using the percolator. I like the coffee that both of them make, but one makes more coffee than the other does. In addition, one (the percolator) has fond memories for me.

I learned to drink coffee from my Grandpa Newland, who made coffee in a percolator. He would make his coffee of a morning and then leave what he didn’t drink in the pot warming and getting stronger as the hours passed. Whenever he poured coffee in his cup, there were always grounds in the bottom of the cup. The first cup of coffee I ever consumed came from my Grandfather’s coffeemaker. It had grounds in the bottom of the cup. It also had a lot of cream and sugar, which I no longer put in my coffee.

I have a Reflections meeting at the Baha’i center this afternoon. I’ll take a bottle of water with me to drink. If juice or tea is served there, then I’ll drink that. I don’t think I’ll have any soda. I have soda here, at home, which needs putting in the fridge. I also have juice, both orange and apple juice to drink, but I’ll probably stick with water away from home.

No comments: