Thursday, April 26, 2007

Herb Tea and Memories of my Grandparents

18 Jalal 164 B.E. – Thursday, April 26, 2007

Today I picked up a sack full of herb teas from another freecycler. This is great because we didn’t have any in the house. We ran out of it a couple or three months ago and I just didn’t get any more. Not because I didn’t like it, but because I couldn’t make up my mind on what kind to get. The tea I sack of teas I picked up today had a large variety of teas and some gourmet hot chocolate.

Mom and I don’t go overboard when it comes to drinking this type of tea or for that matter any tea, we’re coffee drinkers. However, it’s nice to have a selection of teas in the house. This way we can have a cup of hot tea on Saturday night when we watch the Laurence Whelk (I think that’s how you spell his name) Show or the Britcoms on channel 10. It’s also nice to have something besides coffee to offer guest when they come.

In fact, I have a Coffee and Tea Service in the china closet. I don’t think we’ve used it more than a couple of times, if that, since we got it. The idea of buying the set to begin with was so that we’d have something to serve guest coffee or tea when they come to the house. When you have people, even family, over for dinner it’s nice to have something a bit decorative to serve them with. Of course, I could be a bit out of date in my thinking on this subject.

I can’t remember if my Grandmother had a Coffee and Tea Service or not. If she did, she didn’t use it very often. I know that she used her fancy dinning service every Sunday, whether she had guest or it was just the family. I learned to drink Herb Tea from my Grandmother and I learned to drink Coffee from my Grandfather. Grandma usually drank ordinary black tea either hot or cold, but there were specific times when she drank Herb Tea. It was something she drank of an evening to relax before going to bed or when she was feeling under the weather. It wasn’t something to drank on a continues basis day in and day out.

My Grandmother was a woman who believed in moderation. When we were with Grandma and Grandpa, we could have almost anything we wanted, as long as it was in moderation. Another thing I remember about my grandparents is that they always said prayers before meals. When we gathered around the dinning table, Grandpa always said grace. The prayers Grandpa said before meals were always short and to the point, it didn’t matter if it were an ordinary daily meal, a Sunday meal, or a Thanksgiving/Christmas meal, he always said short prayers.

Several of the prayers reveal by Baha’u’llah mention spiritual food, therefore any of them would be appropriate to say before a meal. Abdu’l-Baha wrote a prayer for to the nineteen-day feast, so it would probably be appropriate to say before a meal. Any prayer by the Bab, Baha’u’llah or Abdu’l-Baha that mentioned food of any kind could be said before eating.

No comments: