Thursday, April 05, 2007

The Sound Track of My Life

16 Baha 164 B.E. - Thursday, April 05, 2007

If I were putting together a sound track of my life there are nineteen songs that inspire and excite me. These songs come from several different sources, but they each compel me to write. These songs, in no particular order are

01. The Battle Hymn of the Republic
02. Amazing Grace
03. Rocky Mountain High
04. Me and Bobbie McGee
05. Calypso
06. The West Texas Town of El Paso
07. This Land is Your Land
08. America the Beautiful
09. Danny Boy
10. The Eighteen Twelve Overture
11. We Three Kings
12. On Top of Old Smokey
13. Any and all of the Hidden Words of Baha’u’llah set to music
14. This Little Light of Mine
15. How Great Thou Art
16. The Long Healing Prayer set to music
17. Dashing through the Snow
18. Winter Wonderland
19. Frosty the Snowman

That is a very diverse and eclectic group of songs. Some of them are from my childhood, some from my teen and adult years. They inspire me and have inspired me from the time I first encountered them. I’m not sure I could pick out which one is my favorite, because at different times they are all my favorites. These are the main songs, there are other songs too numerous to list here.

Music inspires the soul, inspires the writer and poet. Music is a universal language; the one language humanity has in common. We can chant songs, poems and prayers without music or accompanied by music. We can listen to music without the words to the song. However, the music is played and listened to they inspire; they speak to the individual spirit. They encourage, they unite, and they feed the muse. Music and songs can inspire use to go beyond ourselves and help our fellow creatures, they can incite us to march to war or goad us to hate.

The way humanity uses music is up to the individual and those who write the words and chords. So sing along with the music, listen to the beat and the words, then chose your own sound track from the music that inspires you. When I listen to a song, I wonder why it inspires me. I wonder how it inspires others.

No comments: