Monday, April 16, 2007

Early Rain and Contemplating Ridvan

8 Jalal 164 B.E. - Monday, April 16, 2007

It rained today. When I got up this morning, it was raining; a wonderful blessing. It’s been a while since I woke up to rain. Because the rain was so gentle I didn’t hear it until I opened the patio door and then I heard the pitter patter of raindrops falling. The cats heard it and felt the damp air so they didn’t want to go out on the patio. It’s not that the patio gets wet, the only time that happens is when it rains hard and the wind blows, still they felt the damp air and wouldn’t go onto the patio. The weather is clearing now, there are stray thunderstorms predicted for this afternoon.

Ridvan begins on 21 April; this year I want to take a different approach to the Ridvan poems I write for this celebration. In 1863 Baha’u’llah entered a garden in Bagdad, there he declared his mission to his followers that accompanied him. This celebration lasts twelve days from April 21 to May 2. There are three holy days (days on which work should be suspended), the First, Ninth and Twelfth day. I think I’ll do a bit more research and put something about the events that occurred during the time. Usually I write something about the celebration or the way I feel about those days, but this year I want to expand my poems on the subject.

No comments: