Friday, June 13, 2014

Foodie Friday: Happy Friday the Thirteenth

Istiqlál (Independence), 9 Núr (Light), 171 BE - Friday, June 13, 2014 about 10:22 am Pacific Daylight Time

Happy Friday the Thirteenth or perhaps I should say have a lucky Friday the Thirteenth. There are lots of superstitions about Friday, food, and the number thirteen. Some of these superstitions are amusing and some of them cause a person to stare blankly into space shaking his or her head in astonishment.  One of the food superstitions that I grew up with concerned eating black eyed peas on New Year's Day.

Every year I remember Grandma fixing black eyed peas. On December 31, Grandma Mary put the black eyed peas to soak and then, on the morning of January 1, she would put them on to stove to cook. Before turning on the burner, she would add salt, a table spoon of white vinegar, and either pigs feet or fat back. The peas were always cooked by the time the family was ready to eat in the afternoon.

Another superstition I was brought up with concerned salt. If either my sibling or I inadvertently spilled the salt then Grandma or Grandpa would tell that person to throw a pinch of salt over his or her right shoulder. I remember seeing my grandparents and parents do the same thing when they spilled the salt.

A superstition my family never had to worry about was having thirteen guest at the dinner table. I doubt that we could have fit that many people at the table anyway because there was barely enough room for the eight people at our table much less thirteen. Still it is considered unlucky to have thirteen people at a dinner table or a dinner party.



No comments: