Sunday, June 02, 2013

Flabbergasted - A Word My Grandmother used

Jamál (Beauty), 17 ‘Aẓamat (Grandeur), 170 BE - Sunday, June 2, 2013 about 9:57 AM Pacific Daylight Time

My grandmother used the word flabbergasted when something surprised, astounded, or amazed her. Until this morning, I had not thought of that word in years. It is not a word I normally use because in my mind it is out-of-date, but it is in the dictionary.

I was composing an entry for my writing.com blog about a poem which won an award in a contest and I thought of the word. As I considered the word, I realized it expressed my feelings when I read the e-mail about the prize. I learned about the award on Saturday as I was reading my e-mail; when I read about the award I simply stared at the screen and then reread the e-mail. My next action was to transfer the poem into the proper folder.

After thinking about the word, I think I will use it in a poem or short story. I have one short story in which flabbergasted would work. The reason it would work is that it expressed the feelings of the main character at a specific time in the story.




No comments: