Friday, August 03, 2012

Cooking for someone on a low sodium diet


Istiqlál (Independence), 3 Kamál (Perfection), 169 BE – Friday, August 3, 2012 about 6:00 PM Pacific Time

Mom is now on a low sodium diet as well as a low fiber diet. I am going to focus more on cutting down the salt then on cutting down the fiber. It is easier to cut down on the fiber in her diet is a lot easier then on the salt. I did find a new way to help cut down on the salt I dump my canned vegetables in a colander and then run water over them.

I think this weekend; I will mix everything with rice or pasta. I will have to read on the packages, but I do not think packaged pasta has salt unless you add it when cooking and I do not add salt to the pasta water. I have to be very careful with the salt Mom gets because she is retaining water and her legs are swelling. I have been putting her legs up on the couch when she is in the living room and at night, her legs are up.

I need to get some fresh vegetables and other unprocessed items for her to eat, which I will do on Monday. The problem with the weekend is I have no one to stay with her while I go to the store. I did not get to the grocery store today; therefore, this week end I will just have to focus on getting as much salt out of the food she eats as possible.

No comments: