Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Care giving: Cleaning out Closets Day 2


‘Idál (Justice), 3 Asmá’ (Names), 169 BE – Wednesday, August 22, 2012 about 5:25 PM Pacific Time

There are three bedrooms in this house and each one has a closet. I found some more of Mom’s clothes in another closet. I also found some of my clothes that I either never wore or have not worn in ten years. In one closet, I found two formal dresses. One belonged to Mom and the other to me.

The one that belonged to Mom is too small for her and she has not worn it in at least ten years. I put Mom’s in the group of clothes I am giving away tomorrow, but I am having second thoughts. I doubt that Mom will wear the dress again; it is dark blue with a broach. Mom had two formal dresses the other one pink and I left the pink one in her closet.

I think she can still wear the pink dress. In addition, Mom likes bright colors better then dark colors. If I gave her, a choice she would chose the pink over the blue. I think I feel guilty about giving Mom’s clothing away without asking her, but if I ask, she will want to keep everything; including the dresses that are too small and there just is not enough room in the closets to keep everything.

Caring for someone with Alzheimer’s disease is difficult. I keep encountering situations in which I have to make decision that I sometimes suspect would be different from the decision Mom would make if she were still capable of making them. I cannot keep all the dresses that are too small for Mom and I probably did not give away enough, but I can still set other things aside to give away.

No comments: