Saturday, December 04, 2010

Thoughts on a long day

Jamál (Beauty), 13 Qawl (Speech), 167 BE – Saturday, December 4, 2010 about 6:53 PM Pacific Time

Despite the fact that the days are growing shorter, it’s been a long day. I spent the morning attempting to get Mom up and into the living room or breakfast room. This morning I wanted to fix eggs and hot dogs, but I couldn’t fix them until Mom got up because they would get cold or be over cooked.

It took two hours to get Mom up and into the breakfast room. Once breakfast was ready and Mom ate, then it took about a hour to convince her to get dressed so we could go to the bank. I had to get twenty dollars in quarters to do laundry. When we got to the bank, Mom waited in the car; she didn’t want to go into the bank. I’m glad it’s winter, but I don’t know what I’m going to do next summer when it gets hot.

Getting Mom out of the car and into a store or bank is difficult. Most of the time I just tell her I’m using her debit card and she has to be with me when I use it; that usually does the trick, but not always. If Mom doesn’t want to do something she can be extremely stubborn and with the Alzheimer’s disease she gets angry.

Tomorrow we have to go to the laundromat and on Monday she has an appointment with her doctor. I’m not looking forward to the process of getting Mom up and ready to go. Mom doesn’t understand why she can’t stay home when I go to the laundromat and she doesn’t think she needs to see a doctor. I have two more long days ahead of me.

No comments: