Sunday, December 19, 2010

Christmas Week, a Total Lunar Eclipse and clouds in Las Vegas

Kamál (Perfection), 9 Masá’il (Questions), 167 BE – Sunday, December 19, 2010 about 5:10 PM Pacific Time

It looks like I won’t be about to watch Monday night’s total lunar eclipse from my front yard. I’ll have to turn on CNN or some other news station and hope they show the eclipse. I’m disappointed, but the weather forecast calls for cloud cover and rain for the rest of the week. I know we need the rain here in Las Vegas; however, I would rather stand in my front yard watching a total eclipse of the moon then seeing it on television.

During this eclipse, the moon is supposed to glow brown or red, rather then its normal orange-yellow eclipse color. This is because of the dust in the atmosphere from volcanic eruptions. I remember seeing a total lunar eclipse in the last century. I stood in a mall parking lot and watched in amazement as the moon moved into the earth’s shadow. It was beautiful it was spectacular.

I’m going to miss seeing this eclipse from my front yard, but there isn’t anything I can do about it because mother nature has her own priorities. Oh well, maybe I’ll write a poem about missing the lunar eclipse of 2010.

No comments: