Sunday, December 31, 2006

Last Day of 2006

1 Sharaf 163 B.E. - December 31, 2006

Today is the last day of 2006. This morning the sun rose behind clouds giving a pastel red cast to the morning sky. There is an old saying that goes

Red sky at morning,
Sailors take warning,
Red sky at night,
Sailors delight.

I’m not sure how accurate that is to predict today’s weather, because at this moment there aren’t very many clouds in the sky. There are a few, but they don’t appear any threat, they look like there just suspended in the sky going no where.

I’m going to go to the store this afternoon, still need to get more stuff for New Years Day. I went to the store Friday for a package of black-eyed peas. My Grandmother always fixed black-eyed peas on New Year’s Day. She said it brought good luck for the coming year. I’m not sure about the good luck part, but I do like to keep some of the traditions Grandma practiced. So tomorrow, we’ll have black-eyed peas with smoked ham hocks and jalapeño peppers. Grandma never put jalapeño in her black-eyed peas, but Mom and I like them that way. Grandma didn’t used smoked ham hocks either, she used the fresh or froze ham hocks that weren’t smoked. I’ve never had black-eyed peas with smoked ham hocks so it should be a tasty change in the recipe, if it is I’ll just make black-eyed peas that way from now on.

No comments: