Wednesday, December 13, 2006

My Favorite Birthday Present

2 Masa’il 163 B.E. - December 13, 2006


My favorite birthday present wasn’t meant to be a birthday present. It occurred on a visit to my Grandma Darbe’s house. The visit occurred during a Christmas holiday, when we were traveling from Blackwell to Shawnee. My Grandma Darbe lived in Burbank, Oklahoma. We detoured from the direct trip back to Shawnee, drove to Burbank and stayed with Grandma for several days.

I remember setting in Grandma’s kitchen watching her make bread. Grandma still had the old wood burning iron stove, I remember her cooking on all her life. She still made her own bread and chopped her own wood. She still wore the same old apron she’d wore all her life. It was made from a cloth flour sake. I think she had several aprons, because she always had a clean one every day and I don’t remember her doing laundry.

That visit was the last time I saw Grandma, she lived for several years but we never got back to see her again. I still miss Grandma Darbe, she was a wonder woman. The picture posted today is one taken at the time of the visit.

No comments: