Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Trust

14 Qawl 163 B.E. – December 5, 2006 at 10:05:54 PM Pacific Standard Time

I’ve been thinking lately about the prayers revealed by Baha’u’llah. I’ve read a lot of them and have memorized some of them. One of the prayers that I’ve memorized is this one.


He who puts his trust in God, God will suffice him.
He who fears God, God will send him relief.
Prayer by Baha’u’llah
quoted by H.M. Balyuzi
in Baha’u’llah – The King of Glory, p. 138


This is a short prayer and one that I memorized relatively quickly. I like memorizing especially the prayers of Baha’u’llah, the Bab and ‘Abdu’l-Baha. The interesting thing about memorization is that for the young its usually easy, but as we get older it gets a little more difficult.

My experience is that the prayers I’ve memorized as an adult, which are all from the sacred scriptures of the Baha’i Faith mean a great deal more to me than the ones I memorized as a child. Of course, I didn’t memorize more than two or three when I was growing up. Now I memorize them because I want to, not because someone has told me I must memorize them. While I don’t have any specific prayers that are my favorites. Some I do say more than others, the one quoted in this entry is one of those. This prayer brings me comfort and joy when I recite it.

If I’m stress than saying this prayer calms me, if I’m depressed then it brings me joy, if I’m sluggish and uninspired then it energizes me. It’s amazing that one prayer of two short lines can do all that, but it does at least for me.

No comments: